Undergraduate Studies

You can enroll as an undergraduate student in one of the following ways.


Taking Classes in English


Since October 2011, Nagoya University has been offering international programs as part of the Global 30 project. These are educational programs in which international students and Japanese returnees can obtain degrees by only taking classes held in English.


G30 International Programs (Undergraduate Students) 


Taking Classes in Japanese


I. International Undergraduate Government Scholarship Students (MEXT)


The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) established its scholarship program in 1954 and has been providing support to international students studying in Japan ever since. 

To apply for a MEXT scholarship to be used for admission to a Japanese university, you must also apply for a letter of recommendation from your embassy. 

If you are selected, in most cases, you will need to spend one year studying Japanese at the Tokyo University of Foreign Studies or Osaka University. 

The university will not collect an admissions application fee or tuition from scholarship students. 

If you meet certain conditions, the government will pay for your round-trip airfare.


(1) Embassy Recommendation
Inquiries Your country's embassy (or consulate-general) in Japan
Arrival Date  April


For details, please see the MEXT website.


II. Foreign Government Scholarship Students


Some foreign governments pay to send students to Japan for of the purpose of developing personnel, and request cooperation from the government of Japan to place them. Seeking to actively promote international cooperation, the government of Japan works to accommodate requests from these governments. 
Nagoya University currently accepts foreign government scholarship students from countries such as Malaysia and South Korea.


 For details


III. Privately-Financed International Students


Privately-Financed Undergraduate Students


Nagoya University provides undergraduate education in nine schools.

Individuals who wish to apply as privately-financed international students are exempted from taking the National Center Test for University Admissions, and can sit in a separate entrance examination from the standard one.

Updated application guidelines are released everySeptember, and the deadline for applications is in December.

Selection is based a comprehensive assessment of the application documents and on scores on the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU), TOEFL, and the university entrance examination (which differs for each school and department).


Application Guidelines(Japanese only)